Winter in California means Citrus! Oranges and grapefruits are everywhere and there are so many varieties to try. Oranges may seem like a boring and all too familiar fruit. However, this super-fruit should not be overlooked! This week we bought some gorgeous blood red oranges that we wanted to incorporate into one of our recipes. Our goal this January is to reset our bodies and eat a plant based diet. Our recipe contributor, Katelyn, found this winter salad recipe from pinchofyum.com that is packed with anti-oxidants and was easy to Veganize. We were so happy with the result! The tofu was a perfect substitute for the chicken and the mint really balanced out the tanginess of the oranges. Not only is this salad healthy and delicious, it is also a beautiful!
Health Benefits of Oranges:
Oranges are a good source of Vitamin C & A, Folate, and Potassium. They help to alkalize the body and stimulate the digestive system, thereby helping to relieve constipation. The high levels of Vitamin C is well know to help to boost the immune system, but oranges also contain polyphenols, a type of anti-oxidant that helps to reduce inflammation and combat viruses and other bacteria. Oranges also help to fight cancer, prevent birth defects, maintain healthy bones and improve your mood.
For the Salad:
- 1 lb. Tofu (drained and sliced)
- 2 blood red oranges peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 avocado, cut into slices
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 2 cups spinach, torn or cut into small pieces
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- a handful of chopped fresh herbs – we used mint
For the Tofu Marinade:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- juice of one half of a lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Dressing:
- 1-2 tablespoons champagne
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, or other grainy mustard
- salt, pepper
- Whisk marinade ingredients together. Place in a bowl with the tofu, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (while prepping other stuff).
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Heat the oil in a pan and warm the tofu.
- Toss all other salad ingredients, including tofu, together with the dressing! Season with additional salt and pepper and maybe a drizzle of good olive oil.
Credits: Author: Jill Uechi // Recipe and Photography: Katelyn Guerrero