This colorful roasted beet kale salad is loaded with nutritious powerhouses, kale, tomatoes and roasted beets. It’s the perfect late summer salad since the vitamin, mineral and antioxidant content found in tomatoes, beets and kale can help to repair and promote healthy skin!
High in the potent antioxidant betalainin, which gives beets their dark red hue. Research shows that betalainin may reduce the risk for skin cancer. Beets are also high in vitamins A, C, folate and niacin and minerals like iron, potassium, calcium, and manganese. Consuming beets helps to keep skin hydrated, resulting in more youthful looking skin.
Famous for containing lycopene, this antioxidant helps to reduce skin roughness, prevent sunburns and slow down cellular damage. Tomatoes also contain and abundant amount of vitamins A and C.
It’s been crowned the “queen of greens” and rightly so because of it’s richness in vitamins. 1 serving of kale contains 100 percent of the recommended daily intake of vitamins C and A, which help to prevent skin diseases and repair the tissue beneath the skin. It also contains the antioxidant kaempferol, which is therapeutic to skin burns.
Roasted Beets Over Kale
- 4 small or 2 medium beets, trimmed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss the beets in the olive oil and balsamic, fan out on a baking sheet, and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Roast for 25 minutes. Use a spatula to remove the beets from the baking sheet.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 cups lacinato kale, cut into thin ribbons
- 3 Sweet plums, quartered and pitted – we used black plums and pluots
- 1-2 hot house tomatoes sliced or 1 cup of cherry tomatoes halved
- Whisk the vinegar and sea salt into the olive oil
- Drizzle about half the mixture over the kale leaves.
- Use your fingers to massage the dressing into the kale. (this is important to soften the kale)
- Toss in the roasted beets, plums, and tomatoes, and finish with another drizzle of dressing.
makes about 2 servings as a main dish or 4 side dishes