Do you like savory or sweet breakfasts? Maybe it was the extra sugar we had this past weekend, but when we tried to figure out what we were going to cook for this Recipe Friday we decided that not only should the ingredients have healthy ingredients for beautiful skin, but we also wanted it to be on the savory side. Coco created this Vegan Breakfast Bowl, which was the perfect type of heartier breakfast bowl for those mornings when you wake up craving a full meal.
The great thing about this breakfast bowl is that there is no right or wrong ingredients to add. You can put whatever vegetables you have left in your refrigerator or the freshest veggies that you find at the farmer’s market. So, this recipe is more of a guide and an inspiration to help you to create your own perfect veggie breakfast bowl. We added brussel sprouts, red peppers, asaparagus, and spinach, but you may prefer kale, tomatoes, squash and spinach.
There a lot of reasons to eat more vegan meals and in honor of Earth Day, we will give a little shout out to the benefits of eating less animals and animal products has on our environment. Everyday, eating a vegan diet will help to save 1,000 gallons of water, 45 lbs of grain, 30 sq ft of forest, 20 lbs of CO2, and 1 animal’s life.
SAVORY VEGAN BREAKFAST BOWLS
- ½ cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 brick firm tofu
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup brussel sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped asparagus
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 medium potatoes grated or put through a food processor (white or sweet potatoes will both work)
- ¼ onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt & pepper
- thinly sliced avocado
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. set aside.
- Pat tofu dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Using your hands, crumble the tofu into small chunks.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add the green onion, tofu and seasoning and cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add the veggies and spinach. Mix well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- To prepare your hash browns, mix the potatoes, onion, olive oil, salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Form into patties and pan fry in a little bit of oil.
- To assemble the bowls, place quinoa on the bottom, the top with tofu scramble, veggies and hash browns. Garnish with some avocado.