Now that the crisp fall air has moved into So Cal one of our favorite fall activities is apple picking with the kids! While we haven’t been able to make it back out to the Apple Farms in Oak Glen, CA just yet, we hope to
soon because we’ve got apples on our mind!
This week we indulged in a little autumn cinnamon apple treat and we couldn’t wait to share this protein filled energy bite with you. Can apple pie and healthy go in the same sentence? YES, it sure can! It’s perfect for a grab and go breakfast, school lunches or after work-out energy snack. It’s filled with the goodness of oats, chia seeds, almond butter, and fresh apples! Did we mention that it’s so easy to make too?
An alternative to fresh apples in this recipe is dried or dehydrated apples, but we love using the freshest raw ingredients whenever we can. We should also mention that there’s no limit to what you can add to these energy bites, so go ahead and be creative! There’s no right or wrong in this recipe.
Apple Cinnamon Energy Bites
- 2 cups organic old-fashioned oats
- 2 TBSP chia seeds
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 2 TBSP Bee-free honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1 and ½ medium apple (grated)
1. Stir together the dry mixture ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In a smaller bowl, mix the almond butter, bee-free honey and vanilla
3. Add the almond butter mixture to the dry ingredients bowl and thoroughly
mix until fully coated.
4. Stir in grated apple.
5. Scoop a small handful of the mixture and roll it into a ball.
6. Serve immediately or refrigerate for a healthy snack over the next few