We are always on the lookout for a tasty, lunch that is vegan and high in protein and fiber. These Chickpea Avocado Lettuce Wraps from shelikesfood.com were perfect and yummy too! They had a slight tart flavor and the avocado helped everything stick together well. It’s easy to make and the filling can also be used as a sandwich with bread or on rice cakes. It travels well, without getting soggy, and makes a great lunch for a picnic too!
Health benefits of chickpeas: Chickpeas, like other legumes, have always been touted for their high fiber content. However, there has been research indicating that fiber from chickpeas had better health benefits than other sources of dietary fiber, including better blood fat regulation, specifically showing lower levels of LDL-cholesterol, total cholesterol, and triglycerides. Chickpeas contain about 12.5 grams of fiber per cup, which is 50% of the Daily Value!
Chickpea Avocado Lettuce Wraps
We didn’t have jalapeños and we added tomatoes, but we will definitely try this with jalapeños next time!
- 1 large avocado, removed from skin and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion, white or red
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Diced jalapeno, to taste
- 6-8 lettuce cups
- Add the avocado and lime juice to a medium sized bowl and smash with a fork. Next add the remaining ingredients, lettuce cups excluded, and mash again until desired texture is reached. Mix with a spoon to make sure everything is evenly incorporated.
- Fill each lettuce cup with about 2/3 cup of the chickpea mixture, or fill with desired amount.