Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook has been around for awhile, but it’s new to us. This cookbook makes vegan cooking more fun and less precious. All of the recipes use ingredients that are inexpensive and easy to find, but the outcome is healthy and tasty! Reading through the recipes can be funny and with all of the expletives, we had to make sure our kids weren’t nearby! Lol!
For this Recipe Friday, we chose Coconut-Lime Rice with Red Beans and Mango. We didn’t have brown rice and substituted barley instead. The barley made the dish really hearty and the brown rice would probably have made it lighter. The flavors were still really good with the creamy coconut and zesty lime. We paired our dish with a Vegan Cesar Salad, also from the Thug Kitchen.
COCONUT-LIME RICE WITH RED BEANS AND MANGO
Recipe from Thug Kitchen
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 2 teaspoons neutral-tasting oil (we used light olive oil)
- 1 cup diced shallots or onion
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 mango (We thawed out frozen mango from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked red beans
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Chopped cilantro or green onions (for garnish)
- Rinse the rice under cool water. Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add the shallots or onion and saute until they start to brown in some spots, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger and saute for 30 seconds until everything smells choice. Add the rice and keep stirring until the rice starts to smell slightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, broth, salt, and cayenne pepper and bring to a simmer. Give the pot a quick stir, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. If your rice isn’t done by the time the liquid is absorbed, add a little more broth or water.
- While the rice is cooking, chop up the mango into bite-size pieces.
- When the rice is tender, fold in the beans, lime zest, lime juice, and mango. Let cook for another minute or so until everything is warm. Serve topped with cilantro or green onions.
VEGAN CAESAR SALAD
Recipe from Thug Kitchen
- 1/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp dijon
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- romaine lettuce
- Place the almonds and the hot water in a small bowl, and set them aside to soften, about 15 minutes.
- In the mean time, mince the garlic finely. Once the almonds are softened, throw them into a blender with the water they were soaked in. Add the garlic and the rest of the ingredients (except the capers), and blend well until nice and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings. If the dressing seems too thick, add a little more water and blend again. Finally, add the capers and blend for 5 seconds. Store in the fridge until ready to eat.
- To make the salad: wash and spin dry your lettuce. Cut or tear into bite-sized pieces. Place in a big bowl, top with a couple tablespoons of dressing, and toss well. Top with croutons and serve.