Sweets are one of those guilty pleasures that we tell ourselves we can enjoy on special occasions – and let’s face it, those special occasions seem to pop up all the time! We know the negative effects that sugar has on the body but as we get busy and stressed sugar starts to creep in from all angles. This summer, we decided to do a 7-day no-sugar diet at the start of the summer vacation as a way of forcing ourselves to pay attention to our sugar intake. We will try to stay committed to eating nutrient dense foods throughout the summer and prevent our sugar cravings. However, a 7-day sugar detox is a great way to reset over and over throughout the year.
There are quite a few no-sugar detox diets plans out there. We chose to follow the one from foodbabe.com and today’s no sugar granola is just one of the many yummy recipes that she has. This granola turned out so crisp and flavorful! The sugar was not missed at all.
NO SUGAR GRANOLA
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped mixed nuts (almond, pecan, walnut, etc)
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds
1⁄4 cup sun ower seeds
2 tablespoons chia seeds or axseeds 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1⁄4-1⁄2 cup coconut oil
Optional: 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
1. Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the granola on a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool and store covered in a glass container.
4. To serve for breakfast, place 1 cup of yogurt in a bowl and top with 1⁄2 cup of the granola.