Do you guys find yourselves eating really well all day long and then sabotaging your healthy diet at night with junk food? When it’s impossible to avoid late night snacking, we try to prepare healthy snacks. Sure, kale chips are nothing new, but it’s been awhile since we made them and we almost forgot how addicting they can be.
You can play around with variations on spices, but this recipe is simple and still really yummy. If you’ve never made kale chips before, one thing that we found is to make sure to start with DRY kale leaves. Otherwise, you end up with soggy chips rather than crispy ones.
CHEESY VEGAN KALE CHIPS
- 5 large stalks kale
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 2 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 275F. Grease a large baking sheet (or line with parchment paper) and set aside.
- Carefully remove leaves from the stalk of the kale then rip or cut kale into large pieces. Make sure your kale is dry before the next step. You can put into a salad spinner or pat down with paper towel.
- Place the dry kale leaves in a bowl and add avocado oil. Massage oil into the kale leaves using your finger tips.
- Sprinkle on nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Mix with tongs.
- Transfer leaves to 2 baking sheets, arranging in single layer. Do not overcrowd.
- Bake kale at 275F for 10 minutes. All ovens are different, so adjust baking time to desired texture of kale chips. Allow kale chips to cool on pan for 5 minutes.
Credits: Author: Jill Uechi // Photography: Katelyn Guerrero