We rarely make candy, but this Easter, we thought it would be nice to make something that was a richer, sweeter and still Vegan. It’s easier than ever to find Vegan Chocolate, but it’s not as easy to find Vegan Easter Candy. This recipe makes egg shaped truffles that are rich, creamy, decadent, and deeply chocolatey.
This recipe is so easy! We found a silicone egg mold to use. However, if you don’t have one, you can also shape the Oreo balls with your hands and dip into the melted chocolate. Either way works great!
DARK CHOCOLATE EGGS
WITH OREO CENTERS
- 1 15-oz package Oreo cookies (or chocolate sandwich cookies of your choice)
- 1 8-oz tub of Vegan cream cheese (we used Trader Joe’s Vegan cream cheese)
- Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Pound Plus Bar (or other Vegan dark chocolate bar)
- Natural Unsweetened Freeze Dried Fruit
- Silicone Egg Mold
- Crush Oreos in a food processor to a crumble consistency. We used about half the bag to make 2 batches of the molds in this picture. However, you can adjust the amount depending on the size of your molds or size of your eggs, if shaping by hand.
- Mix cream cheese in with crushed Oreos until completely combined.
- Refrigerate mixture for about 5 minutes to harden.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Shape the cookie mixture small balls and place on lined cookie sheet. The balls will fit in the center of the egg, so you can judge the size depending on your mold.
- Place cookie sheet back in the refrigerator for about an hour, or the freezer for 20 minutes. This will help to make the cookie balls firm, which will make it easier to coat them.
- Crush the dehydrated fruit and add a little bit to each section.
- Break the chocolate bar into squares melt about 1/2 – 2/3 of the dark chocolate squares over the stove in a double boiler stirring constantly.
- Once chocolate is melted remove from heat. Add chocolate cubes one by one and stir in. This will cool the chocolate to the proper temperature.
- Once the chocolate is just below skin temperature, pour into mold over the fruit and coat the bottom of the mold. We tested our chocolate on the palm side of the wrist. It should be cool to the touch.
- Place 1 ball of Oreo Cream Cheese into each egg.
- Cover the balls with more chocolate and use a knife to level off the extra chocolate.
- Place the mold back in the refrigerator to allow chocolate to firm up.
- Pop the eggs out of the mold and they are ready to serve.
These dark chocolate treats are perfect with a glass of red wine, tea or coffee. Yum!
Credits: Author: Jill Uechi // Recipe and Photography: Jill Uechi