This month, Eminence Organics debuts some new detoxifying products that contain a Microgreens Complex, which harvests the powerful essence of microgreens into skincare. As we reviewed the health benefits of microgreens, it inspired us to make this salad for Recipe Friday.
What are Microgreens?
Sometimes the smallest superfoods are the most powerful! Microgreens are the cotyledons of a mature plant. Harvested just 2-4 weeks after planting, these baby leaves contain 4-6 times more nutrition than the mature leaves of the same plant. Since they are planted in soil, as opposed to sprouts, which are planted in water, microgreens also absorb the nutrients and minerals from the Earth.
Health Benefits Microgreens.
Microgreens have high levels of betacarotene, antioxidants (Vitamins C & E), and Vitamin K. However, different microgreens are loaded with different nutrients. Therefore, it is better to incorporate a variety of your favorite microgreens into your diet.
You can grow microgreens indoors. However, you can also find them at the market like we did. Look for dark, vibrant colors, which indicate the high levels of nutrients. Microgreens add flavor and texture to dishes and also make them look a little fancier. We mixed our microgreens with avocado and lemon in our salad below, which was so delicious and simple to make!
Microgreens with Herbed Quinoa & Chickpea Salad
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large or 2 small avocados, pitted, peeled, and cut into cubes
- 1 cup microgreens
- 1 tablespoon shelled hemp seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon braggs aminos
- Lemon slices, for serving
For the quinoa:
- Combine the rinsed quinoa and the water in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let the quinoa sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Add quinoa to a large bowl along with the chickpeas, basil, parsley, cilantro, and mint.
- Season with salt and pepper
For the avocado-microgreens topping:
In a medium mixing bowl, gently toss the avocado, microgreens, hemp seeds, lemon juice, and aminos.
- Divide the herbed quinoa between bowls.
- Add the avocado-microgreens.