We don’t have to convince any of you what a great lunch instant noodle cups are despite the lack of nutrition. Today we made a healthier version that was really easy!
The idea is so close to the instant noodle cups that you are used to eating, but instead of freeze dried vegetables and flavor packets that are high in sodium and contain MSG, these noodle cups contain fresh veggies and a healthier soup base. Basically, you combine noodles, a bit of vegetable base, some raw sliced veggies, and a few seasonings inside a mason jar. Then you store them in the refrigerator, then when you’re ready to eat, pour hot water over the top and lunch is served.
DIY NOODLE JARS
- Vegetables of choice: We used Bok Choy Mui, carrots, mushrooms, sweet peas and green onion. Thoroughly clean the vegetables and trim if needed to fit the smaller mason jars.
- Choice of noodles: rice vermicelli was used. However, quinoa noodles, zucchini noodles, brown rice noodle will also work.
- Tofu – small cubed
- Vegetable Soup Base: Better Than Boullion Seasoned Vegetable Base – 1 teaspoon
- 1 pint mason jars are ideal it gives you just the right serving. However if you would like to pack in more ingredients a larger mason jar will work just fine. As long as you can seal the lid tightly.
- Add a teaspoon of vegetable boullion to the empty mason jar.
- Add your choice of vegetables starting with the heavier ingredients 1st.
- Add 1 cup of noodles.
- Then add remaining light-weight ingredients ie. chopped Green Onion.
- When you are ready to eat just pour hot water into your jar o’ noodles and stir.
- If storing for consumption at another time, simply place the cap back on and seal and store in the refrigerator. It’s now a grab and go meal, just add hot water.
Credits: Author: Jill Uechi // Recipe and Photography: Coco Iv