Happy New Year!
We took a little hiatus during the holidays, but we are back with Recipe Friday and some clean eating ideas.
The holidays were a little tough at times. Visiting family and friends didn’t always understand our attempt to eat healthy and there was a lot of temptation. These Healthy Sweet Balls are so delicious and were a lifesaver when we wanted to reach for something sweet but healthier than all of the sugar-laden desserts.
You can get creative on the toppings! Here are some ideas for toppings with healthy benefits.
Health Benefits of Raw Cacao
- Facilitates anti-aging and rejuvenation
- Reduces appetite and promotes weight loss
- Helps with cardiovascular health
- Dilates blood vessels and reduces blood clotting
- Reduces risk of stroke and heart attacks
- Acts as an anti-depressant and balances brain chemistry
- Builds strong bones
Health Benefits of Coconut Shavings
- Glowing skin
- Regulates thyroid function
- Improves brain function
- Stimulates immunity
- Keeps heart heatlhy
Health Benefits of Pistachios
- High in Vitamin E, which slows down aging and is essential for healthy, radiant, youthful looking skin
- Prevents diabetes type 2
- Cardioprotective properties
Health Benefits of Sesame Seeds
- Keeps hair healthy
- Aids in reducing the appearance of age spots
- Aids in treating anxiety and depression
- Gives relief from pain associated with gout and arthritis
Healthy Sweet Balls
- 1 Cup Raisin
- 1 Cup Dates
- 1 Cup Prunes
- 3/4 Cup Flour (you can use almond flour if making gluten free)
- 1/4 Cup powder milk (can double the flour to making vegan)
- 1/2 tea spoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 tea spoon All Spice
- 1/4 tea spoon Nutmeg
- Pinch of clove – mix together
- Splash of Lemon juice at the very end and save
- Toppings – You can get creative on the toppings. Some ideas are: Almonds, Coconut Shavings, Macadamia nuts, Cacao Powder, and Sesame Seeds.
In a food processor, combine raisins, dates and prunes together. In a separate mixing bowl, mix flour, milk powder (if using), cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg and clove together. Add the grindings mix into the mixing bowl. Scoop small spoonfuls of mixture and roll into balls with your hands. These can be enjoyed plain, or coated with various toppings.
To add the toppings, use leftover lemon to wet the balls and roll in toppings.
Credits: Author: Jill Uechi // Recipe and Photography: Katelyn Guerrero