BONE UP GREEN SMOOTHIE
Getting enough calcium into your diet can be a challenge, especially for women. Women generally require anywhere between 1000 mg to 1300 mg per day, as we age. For years, most of us believed that milk and other dairy products was the best way to get calcium. However, we now know that this is a myth. The high protein levels in dairy products create an acidic environment that make the calcium difficult to absorb.
Green smoothies are alkalizing and a great way to help absorb minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and manganese. All of these minerals are important for healthy bones.
This Bone Up Green Smoothie will give you over half your required daily intake of calcium! It is also great for post workout since it also helps to stave off hunger and restore energy, electrolytes and glycogen stores.
- 2 C kale or spinach
- 1 C almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 frozen banana chopped into 1” pieces and
- ½ cucumber chopped
- 2 pitted dates
- 2 T flax seeds
- Blend kale and almond milk until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until creamy.
- Add more milk or filtered water if you prefer a thinner smoothie.