It’s hard to believe that its already 2 weeks into the New Year. Our Detox usually starts right about now, but this year, we decided to go in a different direction. Instead, a healthy rebuilding through a Whole Food Eating Challenge sounded like a better option. What exactly is Whole Food Eating? Well, it consists of eating mostly foods found in their natural state and a focus on whole, unprocessed, organic (when possible) meals. In addition to following this plan, we decided to motivate each other by photographing our meals and snacks and texting them on our phones. The hope is that this exercise will help us make healthier choices throughout the day and by doing this plan for 100 days, we hope it will lead to a lifestyle change. Over the next few weeks, we’ll post some of our meals and recipes in hopes that you are inspired to follow a Whole Food Diet too!
It will be fun to motivate each other and be inspired by what others are achieving. If you’d like to participate, here are the guidelines…
- Eat whole foods, or foods in their most natural state. This means nothing processed, no added chemicals or preservatives, and of course no fast food!
- Try to buy locally grown and/or organic produce.
- Make sure that dairy products are organic, whole, unsweetened and pasture-raised.
- Only buy 100% whole grains.
- Choose wild caught over farm raised seafood.
- Moderate intake of locally raised lean meats.
- Limit beverages to water, natural juices and unsweetened tea. On occasion, coffee, wine and beer are ok. (This is a lifestyle change and not a detox)
- Only use natural sweeteners including honey, 100% maple syrup, fruit juice.
- Blog, Instagram, Text (a friend) or Write down your meals in a journal. If using instagram, use #willowcleaneating
- Oatmeal with fresh mango, raspberries, blueberries, and coconut, almond, chia drink and a cup of black coffee.
- Fresh grape tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, basil, and hard boiled eggs.
- Mixed greens with tuna, tomatoes, 1 hard boiled egg.
- Mixed greens with seared tuna and figs with goat cheese.
The above meals were a few examples over the last couple of days. Hope you are also having fun!