Goals! We love goals! Business or personal, we’ll take them. However we think personal ones seem more challenging! The daily routine of our lives are quite similar and can consume us completely.
One of our favorite blogs, A Beautiful Mess, posted the challenge to achieve 4 simple goals by 2014. We missed their proposed deadline, but have decided to create simple goals for ourselves to strive for this year.
Here are the “rules”-
- Choose simple goals that will make your life richer and happier on a daily basis. Choose things you may not otherwise get done, but that are not difficult to accomplish.
- Do not choose result oriented goals, choose activity oriented goals. Positive actions instead of just the end result!
- Choose goals that are personal that you believe will truly make your life richer just by doing them! They can be daily, weekly or one time experiences.
- Choose a reward for each goal as it is accomplished! It can be a small or large reward- it’s up to you.
So one of the things that we did a little differently is that we combined our personal goals. We thought this would be a good way to keep us on track. Here are our goals:
- Cook 1 new vegan recipe every week: In general we both try to eat healthy, but we both admit that we get busy and get into a rut of the types of meals we prepare. Neither of us are 100% vegan, but it would be great to incorporate more vegan recipes into our lives. The plus would be if our kids and husbands could LOVE some of our new vegan dishes too!
- Read a new book every month (for pleasure, not for research): As admitted work-a-holics, we sometimes find that we have not done anything to unwind for long periods of time. Reading is such a great way to unwind and get inspired so we know we have to do that more!
- Sleep at minimum 7 hours a night: Embarrassingly, this was the most difficult goal for both of us to commit to! We know sleep is important and decided we’d make it a priority this year!
- Organize at least once a month: Being organized helps us from feeling overwhelmed. We’ll try to find one organizing project every month that we can accomplish and also helps to make our life simpler.
If we achieve our goals, our true reward is that we will be healthier, more organized and have found some pleasurable personal time, improving the way we live life. To sweeten this reward and because we love to online window shop, we have lists of things we want, but don’t really need so we will also reward ourselves with one of the things from our shopping cart!
So there you have it, our 4 simple goals. We’ll check in on our goals in a few months and let you know how we are doing. We’d love to hear about your goals for 2014!